Gardening is a great rewarding practice, an ideal way to add healthy edibles to our meals, and being done as a part-time activity by many of us for decades. It is an interesting habit to plant and grow vegetables, herbs, and fruits in the lawn or any open space.
Are you worried about gardening because you don’t have any lawn or personal space?
Or your homeowner is not allowing you to garden in the yard beside your apartment? Do not worry! We have a solution to your problem.
Garden without a lawn
In this article, we will be explaining some of the useful ways to garden without a lawn.
Use pots and Containers
Pots are a good option to use for planting, especially if you do not have a lawn. There is no need to buy miracle soil to put in the pots and containers for growing plants and vegetables because the potting soil does not require much fertilization.
While you put the plants in the pot, you must take out some of the soil because the plants will already have some soil with it, so it needs some space to adjust in the pot’s centre. Do not forget to fluff out the roots before placing the plant into the soil.
Plastic pots are also a good option if you are using pots for growing veggies and fruits. That can be easily kept in the hallway, porch, balcony, or on the stairs. Plastic pots can retain the water contents for longer periods than other types of pots like terracotta pots. These pots are also lightweight and not easy to break and crack.
It is easier to buy already grown plants than seeds; you will need to put them into the pots for further growth. Only watering and a little care will be required for the maintenance.
If you want to grow the plants like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, kale, broccoli, eggplant, and peppers, you must buy larger pots and containers for the proper growth. Keep in mind that always choose the plants that can be grown and settled in the pots easily as well as in shades.
There are also some additional tips that you should follow while gardening without a lawn.
- Measure your area where you have planned to keep the pots and all the containers before buying the pots, seeds, or plants.
- Look for the sun exposure in that area; it should be moderate.
- If there is any clutter or extra items in that area, think to make more space for greenery by replacing those extra items.
- If you do not have any space for the garden in your home, but you are fond of gardening, then sharing the neighbor’s space by asking them is also a good idea.
- Plan the source of water supply before planting anything at your home. It is important to know all the municipal authority’s water usage restrictions, and you must follow them. You must have a backup plan for watering your plants during the summer season, to save them from drought if you are restricted to use water.
- It would be best if you thought about the styles of gardening. This means that whether you want to grow fruits, vegetables, and herbs or grow plants. Some people want both of them too. It is recommended that you opt for greens that are sunlight friendly, and need less water.
- It is a fact that small space gardening has some limitations, but you can easily grow various berries, including blackberries, strawberries, and others.